You can use the adjective lifeless to describe once-living things, like people, animals, and plants, and you can also use it for objects that appear inert: “The creepy thing about that painting is the clown’s lifeless eyes.” Things that are duller or droopier than they should be are also lifeless, like your lifeless …
What is something lifeless?
Definition of lifeless
: having no life: a : dead. b : inanimate. c : lacking qualities expressive of life and vigor : insipid.
What word type is lifeless?
inanimate; having no life. dead; having lost life.
What is something that does not last?
ephemeral Add to list Share. Something that is fleeting or short-lived is ephemeral, like a fly that lives for one day or text messages flitting from cellphone to cellphone.
What is a lifeless person like?
1. not endowed with life; having no life; inanimate. lifeless matter. 2. destitute of living things.
Does lifeless mean dead?
If a person or animal is lifeless, they are dead, or are so still that they appear to be dead.
What is the root word of lifeless?
word-forming element meaning “lacking, cannot be, does not,” from Old English -leas, from leas “free (from), devoid (of), false, feigned,” from Proto-Germanic *lausaz. See more. Definitions of lifeless.
How do you use lifeless in a sentence?
How to use Lifeless in a sentence
- These forms were lifeless but still existed. …
- The dying man lay as lifeless and immovable as before. …
- He wiggled out of his shirt and placed it over the boy’s lifeless face and sat down to wait. …
- All three mourned as they hovered over Jackson’s lifeless body.
What does being a no life mean?
no-life (plural no-lifes or no-lives) (informal, derogatory) One who does not have a social life.