Classical architecture originated in ancient Greece and Rome, and is characterized by symmetry, columns, rectangular windows, and marble, to name a few. For centuries, architects have drawn influence from these civilizations and incorporated traditional ideals into subsequent styles of architecture.
What are the main characteristics of Classical period?
The Classical period
- an emphasis on elegance and balance.
- short well-balanced melodies and clear-cut question and answer phrases.
- mainly simple diatonic harmony.
- mainly homophonic textures (melody plus accompaniment) but with some use of counterpoint (where two or more melodic lines are combined)
- use of contrasting moods.